Here is a simple way to make a six inch cake if you don't have a six inch cake pan! This size is usually used as the top tier of a multi-tiered cake. It can also be used as the center of a cupcake platter or as a lovely cake for 2 or 3 people!
1. Get out your 8 or 9 inch square pan. This is the one that you can use to make a pan of brownies.
2. Prepare your favorite layer cake recipe.
3. Grease pan with vegetable shortening and line with wax paper.
4. Fill pan 2/3 of the way full with cake batter. Use excess batter to make cupcakes!
5. Bake as directed.
Don't worry if your cake 'domes' in the middle. You will be cutting that portion off.
1. Using a large serrated knife, cut off the top of the cake using the sides of your pan as a guide.
2. Invert your cake onto a cutting board and remove the wax paper.
3. Using a template, mark the cake on the bottom...I used a lid from a cookie cutter container. You could use a margarine tub lid, a cool whip lid or even a dessert plate.
4. Using short up and down strokes, cut out your cake. Take your time with this step and follow the line carefully.
5. Next place a dab of frosting on your cake plate and center your cake on the plate, bottom side up and brush off any loose crumbs.
1. Apply a thin layer of frosting on your cake. This is called the crumb coat. It keeps all the crumbs from getting into your final layer of frosting.
2. Then, I place my cake in the freezer for about 15 minutes to harden the frosting.
3. Remove your cake and frost with the final layer of frosting.
4. Decorate and serve!
I used my cake as the center of a cupcake platter for my nephew and decorated it with my fondant cupcake toppers. To purchase edible toppers for your own creations, click here!
The way that this little cake can be made special is endless!